Associate, Portfolio Management
The Asset Management Associate is newly created opportunity due to company growth and will join a cross-functional high-performance team and split their time between underwriting new senior secured cash flow loans and managing an existing portfolio of business lending. This position will be based at the company’s headquarters outside of Washington, DC in the Bethesda, MD area and will offer an attractive compensation plan including a base salary in the $80,000 to $90,000 range, an aggressive bonus between $15,000 and 18,000, as well as excellent benefits and career mobility. This is an excellent opportunity for candidates with two to five years of public accounting whom are interested in a career track towards specialty finance or portfolio management.
· Work within a team and support full cycle lending, syndication and membership activities for a diverse package of financing solutions including Corporate Finance, Consumer Finance, Lender Finance, and Equipment Finance.
· Split time between underwriting and ongoing credit management responsibilities based on deal flow and the candidate’s experience level.
· Review financial statements, projection models and all other relevant financial and non-financial data to develop a concise analytical foundation for ongoing credit discussions.
· Actively manage/monitor assigned portfolio to determine weaknesses in liquidity and earnings trends, management capability and other information to maximize the credit position and minimize potential losses.
· Monitor assigned portfolio to ensure timely follow-up for covenant calculations, financial statement submission, maturity date renewals, past due reporting and other portfolio monitoring tools as necessary.
· Assist in managing the entire process regarding amendments, waivers and restructurings of existing portfolio.
· Review auction materials including confidential information memorandums, management/lender presentations and other documents to develop an understanding of a company.
· Read and analyze third-party diligence reports including Quality of Earnings, Market Studies and others.
· Review financial statements, sponsor models and all other relevant financial information to understand business trends including segment performance, customer growth, etc.
· Identify attributes of a company which support our investment thesis as well as factors which pose a risk to the business. Understand and describe mitigating factors present in the business, structure of the credit, etc. which offset the risks identified.
· Perform industry research to understand macro trends that impact a company and the competitive environment that it operates in.
· Create and write detailed credit documents which outline the investment opportunity and support the syndication process.
· Review draft and executed legal documents to understand key credit terms. Work with external legal counsel to document final credit terms.
· Work with the appropriate lending team and outside counsel in negotiation and review of legal documents as needed.
· Build relationship with company banking network, portfolio companies and private equity groups.
Target Experience and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in a public accounting, deal advisory, TAS, credit analysis, loan underwriting, leveraged finance or investment banking role.
· Outstanding quantitative and qualitative analytical skills; strong knowledge of finance and accounting and financial statement analysis.
· Strong oral and written communications skills with the ability to express ideas in a persuasive, organized, and articulate manner.
· Well organized and able to efficiently manage projects with limited supervision.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to maintain relationships at all levels in the organization.
· High proficiency with Excel-based modeling and other Microsoft Office products, familiarity with Bloomberg, CapitalIQ and other market data sources a plus.