Principal Virtualization Engineer
Veritas Partners has an immediate need for a fulltime Principal Virtualization Engineer to join our team in the Northern Virginia area!
The successful candidate will provide the highest level of technical expertise and functional knowledge for the evaluation, selection, implementation and ongoing operation of highly complex, secure enterprise technologies. This is a technical leadership role for assigned technologies to ensure effective operations, communicate effectively, and coordinate between stakeholders at all levels.
- Work as the highest-level technical engineering expert for IT. Act as an internal consultant and architect for the IT Engineering and Operations Management.
- Design, implement, and evaluate current and future initiatives for the highest level of efficiency and performance.
- Isolate and resolve complex systems problems.
- Accountable for development and implementation of engineering standards and processes.
- Develop, modify, and implement standard operating procedures for hardware/software, and system design, originate specifications, control documents, verification and validation plans, procedures, reports, or other documentation in support of design and development activities.
- Assist management and engineering staff in the evaluation, analysis, architecture, design, and implementation of enterprise programs and projects.
- Lead the Enterprise Architecture designs, guidance and requirements for incorporation into departmental processes and technical documents.
- Research, analyze, evaluate, and provide recommendations to management on future technology direction.
- Perform peer review on complex change implementations, to ensure completeness and minimal impact to members.
- Deploy and document changes in accordance with enterprise problem and change management processes.
- Lead problem management and root cause analysis discussions with fellow engineers and analysts.
- Proactively identify solutions to potential issues and embrace simplification.
- Serve as escalation point for high severity issues and troubleshoot / resolve complex incidents.
- Provide assistance and expertise to management on improvements to company productivity, systems performance, high availability, monitoring, and operational costs.
- Provide training, mentoring, consulting, and knowledge transfer to other engineering staff.
- Maintain close relations with vendors and resellers. Assist management in maintaining service agreements, maintenance contracts, or other assigned vendor-related administrative duties.
- Drive and be accountable for all assigned tasks and remain continuously self-challenged in setting and delivering on agreed deadlines and milestones.
- Serve as technical team lead on programs or projects that are assigned by management.
- Require the ability to thoroughly understand the entire enterprise environment and use that knowledge to consult and design end-to-end solutions that meet business and IT goals and strategies.
- In lieu of a degree, combination of education and a minimum of twelve (12) years of related work experience is required that provides the necessary skills and knowledge to perform all the essential job functions.
- Extensive hands-on, senior-level experience with VMware technologies
- Extensive hands-on experience with enterprise compute (Cisco UCS, HPE)
- Strong understanding of system design and integration, with a thorough familiarity of public, private, and hybrid cloud technologies.
- Strong understanding of SAN storage technologies
- Strong understanding of network technologies
- Practical, hands-on experience with Azure and AWS platforms
- Demonstrated automation-scripting experience with infrastructure technologies
- Practical understanding of Active Directory and Azure AD Hybrid
- Familiarity w/ software distribution, patching tools, and best practices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to communicate effectively with all levels of audience including executive leadership.
- Powerful analytical and problem-solving skills- including the ability to develop solutions in new and creative ways.
- Ability to independently clarify and assess ambiguous issues to develop consensus toward a solution.
- Experience in developing architectural designs, topologies, and implementation engineering guidance documents.
- Experience training or mentoring both technical and non-technical diverse audiences.